Saturday, January 24, 2009

Love Won Out

Tonight (January 24, 2009), my mother and I watched "Prayers For Bobby" on the Lifetime Channel. Both of us have cried. And what's remarkable is my story is almost like Bobby's only with a different ending.

In eighth grade, I was only out to one person, and he was my Social Studies teacher: David Collins. We had lunch often together so I could get support. We still remain best friends to this day. In ninth grade, I became so upset that I had to open up to someone. This was the first time I met Ondine Gross: my psychologist and personal friend. She was there through really rough times. She loaned me books, and I showed them to Brent Bagniefski, who at the time, was my Algebra 1 teacher. He's gay too. We are also best freinds and have lunch together at school at least once a week.

About a week after meeting Ondine, my parents found out I was gay. When this happened, I was told the same things: homosexuality is a sin. I believed it for awhile. I was sent to an ex-gay ministry. I became secretly depressed and almost commited suicide (suicide attempt one). My ex-gay "counselor" had teachings which were entirely wrong.

Even after rebelling against the ex-gay ministry, I was still fighting World War III with my family. I was born gay, I am gay, God never healed me because there was nothing wrong with me. I kept trying to tell my family this. I poured out my heart to them, and so did Bobby Griffith to his family.

Earlier today, I also watched "The Matthew Shepard Story". It is a sad story and it's true. Matthew Shepard was beaten to senseless by the butt of a foot-long pistol, and murdered.

After watching "Prayers For Bobby" with my mom, she told me that she doesn't ever want to lose me. No, she doesn't believe in the same biblical views as I do, but she accepts me and she loves me.

Jesus Christ gave his life for the world, he gave his life for someone else. God does tell us that we are supposed to be like Him, loving, caring, spreading the good news. Jesus gave His life for me, and like Him, I'd be willing to give my life so someone else might live. That's also making a sacrifice for Him.

I know that Matthew Shepard and Bobby Griffith will hear me when I say: "I love you both. your deaths have helped made this world a better place. Though some may treat your death in vain, I am not. You are innocent and perfect in God's eyes. He made you and there's nothing wrong with you. God has you in His keeping. I, along with your friends and family have you in our hearts."

Remember what Mary Griffith (the mosther of Bobby) said: "Before you say your Amens in your home or place of worship, remember that a child is listening."

My story did almost end like Bobby's, but praise God it didn't. Bobby Griffith and I share a similar story with a different ending.

I asked for acceptance, peace, and love. And because I trusted God, I receieved these things and more. MATTHEW 21:22 - "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." I have lived the last couple of years on this verse. I will continue doing so until the day I meet Jesus.

Because I've received acceptance, by believing I could receive it through prayer: there's only one explanation. I'm alive and well and it's only love... Love Won Out.

1 comment:

Kyra said...

William your really making a difference! Your story's great!