Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Gift From A Total Stranger

Today, I received a gift from a total stranger. That gift was the NIV Student Bible from Zondervan.

I had asked a question on Yahoo Answers asking if there were any sites offering free Bibles. And David, a total stranger, told me he would mail me a Bible. So very cautiously, I emailed him my name and my address, praying I didn't make a grave mistake.

2 days later, the Bible showed up in my mailbox, with a personalized letter AND the Bible itself had my name put on it. Hands down, this is the best gift I have ever received from a stranger.

When I looked at the Bible, I thought "This must be an expensive Bible!" Still, God used someone to give a gracious, loving gift. David had no clue who I was, and gave me one of the best gifts you could ever get: The word and the love of God.

God put us here to worship him. He put us here to witness. That includes loving your neighbor as yourself and giving loving gifts, even to people you don't know at all. David just happened to be one of those loving people. He has truly made my day. I pray that he continues to do this, and I pray that God will bless him and give him his reward on that final day.

I will forever keep the letter and the Bible, for I want it to be a memory. I also want it to be a lesson that God has taught me: "Love your neighbor as yourself and give loving gifts, even to those whom you do not know."

1 comment:

Frau Doktor Doctor said...

A new Bible is certainly a gift from someone who cares (I have been so blessed a couple of times, though never by a complete stranger).

What do you plan to do with your new Bible? What will you read first? For the first time? For the n-th time?